I’m entering the homestretch before publishing A Shift in Shadows in October and still have a quite a bit left to do. Because I have a 9-5 job during the week this means I only have weeknights and weekends to work on book stuff. Here are the major things I need to get done:
- Finish editing. Most of what I’ve been doing for the last two months has been the final round of editing. And I got 95% of it done. But I still have one and a half chapters left to do plus some minor editing throughout the book to address some consistency issues. Probably 4-6 hours of work.
- Write the epilogue. This is going to be super short, like a page and half short. The scene has been bouncing around in my head for the last couple weeks and will probably take me an hour to write it.
- Book description. I consider writing book description/blurbs to be somewhere between the 7th and 8th circles of hell. Because of this I’ve recruited someone to help me write it but if I can get a draft done it’ll make the process go smoother.
- Confirm I have everything I need for publication. I’m going to be using Draft2Digital and Amazon for ebook distribution. I’m pretty sure I have everything I need (or will have it by the end of the month) but I’m still paranoid I’m forgetting something.
So those are all the things I should have been working on for the past week. What have I actually been doing?
- Went through my entire photography collection and archived a bunch of photos. Was I running out of space? Nope. Was there any reason this had to be done last week and not literally any other time? Nope.
- Moved my photography website to Pixpa. Again. Any reason this had to be done last week. Nope. Nope.
- Completely redesigned our campground review website. Since my partner and I enjoy camping we started this review website a couple years ago. Want to know if there was any reason why I needed to completely redo the website last week? The answer to that is nope, nope, nope.
- Laundry. Okay, this one I actually had to do.
I think I’m in a good headspace this weekend to actually finish up the editing and start knocking a couple other things off the list. Not the book description though. That ain’t happening. Unless, “Stuff happens”, counts as a book description.